Engine dying (fuel pump)

Seek support and talk about the Classics Hangar Me 108.
Unterstützung und Forum zur Classics Hangar Me 108.
Zefirro

Engine dying (fuel pump)

Post by Zefirro »

Hi!

Thank you again Mathias for that great plane!
I found something strange - after a certain amount of time (about half an hour?) my engine dies (it happened to me three times - always flying around 1800rpm and 0.8atm). First time I landed in a field. The engine restarted when I changed the fuel pump to the alternative (position 3) one.
Yesterday (or this night) I had the same problem, and my engine restarted immediately in flight when I changed the pump. But more funny was that when I was about to land, on final it happened again - I changed to the pump 1 again, and it solved the problem.

Do you have any idea what can it be?
Krzysztof Sobczak
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Engine dying (fuel pump)

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Zefirro,

what is your initial fuel load?
If that happens again, please open the fuel editor and write down the content of each fuel tank.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

Zefirro

Post by Zefirro »

I'll do that!
By the way, when I want to edit the fuel page, I can't exit it through "OK". The sim complains with: "Please enter a number between 0.00 and 12.55" (I use imperial units.) When I lower left/right tanks fuel level, the same happens to center tanks "Please enter a number between 0.00 and 8.59". Lowering to 8.58 manually helps.
Krzysztof Sobczak
helitom

Post by helitom »

Hello to all,

I´ve just installed this great plane, i observe the same fuel problem, i assume the tanks are all "overfilled" initially, more than 100%!

Best regards from ETHB

Thomas
Zefirro

Post by Zefirro »

I did a trip of more than 1 hour today and I made an observation. I filled the tanks with (in galons):
LeftMain 12.54
RightMain 12.54
Center2 6.0
Center3 6.0
External1 0.0
External2 0.0

At some point the engine has died. I noticed that the fuel at that time was: 12.54, 12.54, 6.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0. So fuel had been taken first from Center3.
When I changed the pump selector to position number 3, engine started again.
When the last drop of fuel was taken from Center2, engine died the second time.

I hope that this observation can help. I am just wondering whether it is only problem of my configuration or something more general.
Krzysztof Sobczak
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Ah ok, looks as if it doesn't take the custom fuel code correctly.
Now to the daunting task of ironing out the whyabouts.
I have to ask this to exclude user error:
Did you edit any of the XML gauges?
Secondly, are you running other software that might attempt to control your fuel? Talking about FSUIPC for instance.

Zefirro

Post by Zefirro »

I've done some tests.
First, I've reinstalled the plane. Then I removed dll.xml, to have the sim out of any other add on. (I have only free FSUIPC and I don't use it to anything except of FSInn.)
And I've not touched your holy gauges :)

And the problem has occurred again. But I made another check. After loading the fuel ( everything full except of the external tanks) I moved the fuel pump selector. After some time I checked the levels in the fuel manager and it solved the problem a bit. It means that fuel was taken from the all tanks, but still from Center3 more than from the other.
So I did a test again. I refilled the tanks (without shutting the engine). After some time I checked that the fuel was used only from Center3. I refuelled again, but first I moved the fuel pump selector, and the fuel was taken from all tanks (but still much more from Center3).
I hope that it can help a bit.

BTW, I have a second needle in my oil temperature gauge, which always points down. Is it correct?
Krzysztof Sobczak
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Ok thank for the detailed report! I will look into it.

The second needle is ok. Since it's a restored aircraft they used whatever was working, and most of all, what was available so the Bad Nauheimer guys used an oiltemp gauge of a twin engine aircraft.

Zefirro

Post by Zefirro »

Wow, great to now, you have put there even so tiny real elements which give this plane uncommon taste!
Krzysztof Sobczak
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

You have an E-mail, Zefirro!