Turning off Mipmaps with DTXbmp to enhance textures

Fw 190 A "Anton" Support Forum
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Turning off Mipmaps with DTXbmp to enhance textures

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

First, none of the things you mention causes blurries, but let's go step by step:

The "MyProducts" folder is doing nothing but taking disk space, you can delete it alltogether.
Apparently you copied the installation twice into your FSX root?
Mind you, only the content of the "MyProducts" folder should be moved into the FSX root, not the folder itself.

The resol.exe in Microsoft Games/SimObjects/Airplanes/Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-5
is correct. That's the interior texture manager.

That air file message is an association error that happens when you try to open it by double-click. On your machine it appears to be asociated with the Adobe air file format which has unfortunately the same extension as our FS air files. But that doesn't mean anything either.

Don't have the other aircraft but the Cat uses 1024 textures only saved without mipmaps, so there are no blurries to expect. I suppose the Lanc doesn't either.

A reinstall is not needed since everything is there and working otherwise.
Since we have excluded incorrect FSX.cfg settings and faulty install that would leave us with two possibilities:
Low display driver settings or too much overhead thus causing FSX to switch mipmaps prematurely.
Are you running an Nvidia card?

Regarding Nicks screenshots, it should be mentioned that he is running at exreme AA setting so I wouldn't expect it to loock that good on every machine.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

scrubcutter

Re: Turning off Mipmaps with DTXbmp to enhance textures

Post by scrubcutter »

Mathias Pommerien wrote:First, none of the things you mention causes blurries, but let's go step by step:

The "MyProducts" folder is doing nothing but taking disk space, you can delete it alltogether.
Will do
Apparently you copied the installation twice into your FSX root?
Not that I am aware
Mind you, only the content of the "MyProducts" folder should be moved into the FSX root, not the folder itself.

The resol.exe in Microsoft Games/SimObjects/Airplanes/Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-5
is correct. That's the interior texture manager.
Yep, understand that, its there, just doesn't appear to be functioning, that is, there is no difference between the settings

That air file message is an association error that happens when you try to open it by double-click. On your machine it appears to be asociated with the Adobe air file format which has unfortunately the same extension as our FS air files. But that doesn't mean anything either.
Cool. I've only just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, so still trying to work it out

Don't have the other aircraft but the Cat uses 1024 textures only saved without mipmaps, so there are no blurries to expect. I suppose the Lanc doesn't either.
I guess so. The Lanc is pretty primitive apart from a bit of eye candy. I wish you guys or A2A or Aerosoft had do it as a comprehensive model!

A reinstall is not needed since everything is there and working otherwise.
Since we have excluded incorrect FSX.cfg settings and faulty install that would leave us with two possibilities:
Low display driver settings or too much overhead thus causing FSX to switch mipmaps prematurely.
Are you running an Nvidia card?
Umm, not sure what you mean by too much overhead. Yes, I am running an Nvidia card (my full system specs are:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte GV N98TOC, 1 Gig
4 Gig DDR-3 RAM
Western Digital 7200RPM, 1TB primary HDD
" " " 640GB Game drive
Windows 7 64 Bit enabled), however I have not yet had a good look at the display driver settings.

Regarding Nicks screenshots, it should be mentioned that he is running at exreme AA setting so I wouldn't expect it to loock that good on every machine.
I have added my replies to your text in bold type. Thanks for the reply and your help to date Matthias. It's nice to deal with a software producer that stands by, and supports, its product so professionally.