Stencil Questions

Fw 190 A "Anton" Support Forum
Beavis

Stencil Questions

Post by Beavis »

Hello-

I am working on a repaint for the Fw 190A (late) and I have a few questions for the community.

I'll start with this one:

Some of the FW190A paints have very sharp markings such as fuel triangles and other stencils. These markings stay sharp, no matter how closely you zoom in. Like this one:
hier.jpg
hier.jpg (16.1 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
I am intrigued by these stencils because I could never make such small text appear so sharp with photoshop. Not even by creating vectorized text in an illustration program and importing it into photoshop.

I could be wrong, but these markings seem to come from a file called "ch_fw190_stencil_t.dds" which I found buried in the textures for the A-5.
stencil.jpg
stencil.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
I was able to get some of these stencils to appear on my repaint by pasting this file into my repaint's texture folder.
tail.jpg
tail.jpg (147.77 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
I assume that this file behaves like noseart... where certain areas of the file are mapped to certain parts of the plane. I have never seen a paint that utilizes all of the markings in this file, though. For instance, of all of the fuel triangles available, I have only seen "C3 100" appear on a paint. I also haven't seen the "haube (auf o zu) drucken" stencil used. On my paint, only certain stencils from the file appear on the plane.

I would like to learn more about the use of these stencils... How to utilize them... Why some appear on the plane and some don't...how it is determined which ones appear and where they appear on the plane... whether it is possible to create your own stencils and assign them to different parts of the plane, etc.

I am wondering if anyone could point me toward a resource that would help me with these questions. Thank you very much!

-Beavis
Huub Vink

Re: Stencil Questions

Post by Huub Vink »

Beavis,

Not all stencils appear as some of the are blanked out by the alpha layer from the "ch_fw190_stencil_t.dds" texture.

When you look at the alpha layer, only the items which are white on this layer will appear. The area which is black remains invisible.

I hope this helps,
Huub
Beavis

Re: Stencil Questions

Post by Beavis »

Huub-

Thank you! That makes complete sense. I will play with that this weekend.

I appreciate your reply.

Beavis