Repaint question

Seek support and talk about the Classics Hangar Me 108.
Unterstützung und Forum zur Classics Hangar Me 108.
pivo11

Repaint question

Post by pivo11 »

G'day,

Straight away let me say thank you with three times three, it's a wonderful airplane. (Even though I have a long way to go before I understand how it all works).

I would like to try to do a repaint for my own use and because I am by no means an expert I would like to ask for some help. In the repaint kit when I open the textures in Photoshop they are at a resolution of 4096. I would like to have my repaint at 2048. Do I need to resize the textures before applying the textures to my new texture folder? Or should I resize the entire paintkit to 2048 before repainting? I am really a beginner at this so all help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Fritz
Ebo

Re: Repaint question

Post by Ebo »

I would do my repaint in the high resolution and then downsample it afterwards. That way you can retain the detail.
Regards
Eberhard

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz | Mobo: DQ57TM | 6Gb - DDR3 1333 | Nvidia Inno3D GTS250 (1024Mb) ~ 275.33 | Win7 Pro x64
Beta tester ~ TongassX • FTX Beta team • REX 1.0/2.0/FS2004
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Welcome Fritz,

I would suggest to resize the psd, but keep a copy of the original sized file for the case you change your mind at some point.
When you save to dds there are always certain losses due to compression, so if you save a dds file twice you have twice as many compression artefacts.
Having said that it's best to do all work in the psd file and never ever touch the dds once it's saved.
Hope that helps.

EDIT: Ebo, beat me to it. That would of course be the king's way, for the case your computer can handle the large scale psd files well.
In that case do your work on the 4096 psd file, save the psd, then resize and save as dds.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

pivo11

Post by pivo11 »

Eberhard, Mathias, many thanks.

I'll do the paint in the 4096 textures and then resize to 2048. While my machine is doing that I'll go out for a kleine pils. :D

Cheers,
Fritz