A general question about code colours on German nightfighter

General discussion about Classics Hangar products
Huub Vink

A general question about code colours on German nightfighter

Post by Huub Vink »

Perhaps one of you guys knows the answer on this question. 10./NJG1 flew with Messerschmitts 109 from Dusseldorf in 1941.

According to Revell the code colours should be RLM77 (Hellgrau). However according to the writer of this article http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/models/lm ... njglmr.htm, the code colours should be RLM28 (Signalrot) as this was used on the Bf110s as well.
(and like on the GC beta BF110 D/E)

Personally I was also considering to paint the general codes grey *G9 + V and only the J red with white lining.

Could I aks for your view on this topic?

Thanks,
Huub
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: A general question about code colours on German nightfighter

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Hmm, interesting.
I can imagine that the author isn't too far away.
The codes probably stick out too clear on the b/w photo to be of an original grey color.
It would sure be interesting what other sources say about this and if there where any first hand accounts to support the red color.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

gerard

Post by gerard »

Older photographic emulsions (often orthochromatic) were notoriously insensitive to red. A good example is this contemporary photo of a Fokker D17:

Red appears to be darker than khaki.

My guess: it is neither RLM77 nor RLM23 :D

gh
Huub Vink

Post by Huub Vink »

Thanks for your reply Gerard, I never realised that before. Although I must confess I still don't knoe whether the coding was red or grey. Looking at the top picture I is most likely read, however looking at the bottom picture the colour is almost certainly grey.....

Huub