Jager Blatt

General discussion about Classics Hangar products
Helldiver

Jager Blatt

Post by Helldiver »

Rudi Thun gave me his collection of Das Jäger Blatt Offizielles Organ der Jagdflieger to read. It dealt with veterans of the Luftwaffe since 1945. They contained a number of personal stories There were a number if photographs of the various airplanes. I gave them back to Rudi and I wonder if they're available in Germany. Although they were black and white they would be invaluable to an aircraft developer since they were taken as a personal photo.
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Jager Blatt

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Helldiver,

I think one must be member of the veterans organisation "Gemeinschaft der Flieger der deutschen Streitkräfte e.V."
to receive it regularly. http://www.fliegergemeinschaft.de/index.php
Occasionally there are single issues available at places like e-bay.
Personally I have never seen the Jägerblatt "in natura".
You havn't by chance scanned some of the stories to your computer? :mrgreen:
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

Helldiver

Post by Helldiver »

No I did not copy any of them darn it. He had quite a collection of them. He would point out various friends of his and always had an interesting anecdote to tell. I know that he would have given them to me, had I asked.
I thought that Rudi would live forever. Then he was killed on his motorcycle. I went back to Lincoln to visit his widow but I think that she had returned to Germany. She was a movie star in German films and was strikingly beautiful even at her age.
Rudi told me about his first "kill". He knew that Lancasters were around when he looked up and saw the exhaust about 20 meters above him. Gave it about 4 seconds of Schrage Music and the Lancaster caught fire and blew up on the way down.
Rudi was suprised at how quick it was.
He was a very, very, interesting fellow and a good friend. I do have a letter from him where he describes various marking on aircraft. I'll dig it out and make a copy for you.
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Helldiver,
don't know if you ever heard of NJ pilot Peter Spoden.
He wrote his memoirs some years ago (very interesting read btw) and apparently knew Rudi Thun.
He has a webpage where you can find some photos of Rudi during the war.
http://www.nachtjaegerspoden.de/seiten/n_bilder.htm#

Peter Spoden occasionally posts over at http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/169401.html
though his last contribution dates back to May2008.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

Helldiver

Post by Helldiver »

I tried getting a hold of Peter Spoden about a year ago and just recently without any answer. I told him about my relationship with Rudi. I don't know if he's sick or passed on. It happens to us old guys you know.