Pilots

General discussion about Classics Hangar products
saunder

Pilots

Post by saunder »

Hi everyone, new to this site but been around getting into trouble on the likes of A2A, Horizon and Aerosofts forums for some time.

I am looking at purchasing this one, it looks pretty damned good, how does it compare with the rest on actual immersion, how does it feel. We are now getting used to the likes of accusim from A2A is this giving the same feeling? I know many systems on the FW190 were automated so very little to do when it came to engine management etc.

I have put the next question to A2A with no response as of yet, but what are the chances of a civilian pilot after all FSX scenery is modern day and so are most of the airfields and airports so whats the chances of us having a pilot to match and lets face it in certain areas these type(Collector's aircraft) of aircraft are regular sighting's.

Last winter at our Glider club we were lucky enough to have an ME109 scream across our field. He dipped his wings to say sorry at being so low and in our airspace. Our OC looked a little shocked but he looked more like a wartime pilot than the ME109 pilot.. The civilian pilot is just a thought and not a criticism.

Thanks saunder.

Q9400 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz
Asus P5Q PRO Motherboard
4GB Corsair memory
ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 9.6 drivers
Windows 7 64
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Pilots

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Welcome to our little corner in the www, Saunder (where did I see that screenname before?),

When we produced the early variants we where loosely planning sort of a what-if racer variant with a civilian pilot but refrained from doing so since we are making the real world replica Flugwerk Fw190A-8/N http://www.flugwerk.de/index.php as part of the late variants currently undergoing developement.
This one will have a civilian type pilot, though he'll prbably look more like a jet jockey wearing a helmet.

As for realism, you should watch your throttle or you'll kill the engine.
Other than that the handbook is available as a free download, should give some solid pointers as to the features.
http://www.classics-hangar.de/downloads_en.htm

As far as flight physics goes, we are lucky to have teamed up with the guys at AvHistory.org. and we're pretty proud of it.
If you open up the Classic Hanger Fw190's AIR files in AirEd available at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hsors/fsairfile.html you'll find that every table has been filled in, every parameter calculated to fully make use of the FSX 6-DOF flight equations.
I don't think there is any other dev that can make this claim. Unfortunately, a lot of Dev's don't put much effort into the FM except for some basic wiggles to get speeds and engine settings close.
Of particular interest for the flight behaviour are the 4xx sections that define the stability derivates of the aircraft, the part that gives the "organic feel" and the character of each aircraft.
If you compare ours to to others you might lose your faith in the others since you'll find mostly zeros there or canned default Cessna code, in a certain very popular recent warbird release we found those sections being simply deleted.
We encourage everyone to open the Classic Hanger Fw190's AIR files, look at what is there and provide feedback. Or, Compare it with other AIR files, we may have missed something. :-)
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

saunder

Post by saunder »

Thank you for you response and yes you have convinced me.. It looks fantastic just needed to know a little more about the physics. It's just the biggest disappointment for me was the ME262 from Flight replicas it was like flying a cessna, so just a bit cautious.

Once again the pilot comments were not a criticism because I am sure if you had not done an authentic WW2 pilot you would be getting the same question. Living virtually next door to Duxford for so long and seeing so many warbirds flying, I only ever saw one pilot wearing authentic gear and that was the pilot of the firefly and minutes later it was no more.

My name, well I have been around for some time and normally getting myself into some sort of trouble. probably have about most addons for FSX and on quite a few forums. I know yours from somewhere but can't place where from.

Regards

Saunder
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

saunder wrote:. I know yours from somewhere but can't place where from.

Regards

Saunder

:mrgreen:
Netwing, SOH, SimHQ etc pp, the usual places.
I've been part of the Groundcrew Design Group, we made a lot of freeware for CFS2, CFS3 and FS2002 (not counting the "public betas" for FS9)
EDIT: I think you're a member over at the LEMB?

saunder

Post by saunder »

Not a member of LEMB but our paths have crossed that I do know. I have been an avid campaigner for that feeling of immersion in FSX, few aircraft have it. I always fly from the cockpit I only ever use external views for screenshots. I get that feeling of immersion from the likes of Rick Pipers Hawk the rear seat is an absolute gem, and another favourite of mine is Alphasims scimitar not the best cockpit graphics but what a feeling.

Classic hangers coming along is a gem because yes I have a love for WW2 luftwaffe aircraft. I am waiting with baited breath for the ME110 and I am sure I will be having the complete collection.
After seeing the ME109, Firefly and P38 all come to grief at Duxford and the latter two with tragic endings it really does make you realise how difficult these machines were to fly. I know I dont need to say this but I will, to replicate that feeling required and also that feeling of isolation you get as a pilot of these machines it is difficult with graphics and sound alone, but to me it's what makes the immersion a regular word I use. lets face it you can flick every switch there is to start an engine but if it does not feel like it's started whats the point.
I have built my flightsim with adaptable PC table with bolt on Hotas joystick and throttle with joystick down low between my legs where it should be, the throttle along side me, rudder pedals and changeable yoke, Saitek quadrant, Itracker and a system capable of giving a good performance with Bose sound system, so now I only need the software to go with it. So I will be trying the FW190 tomorrow(Friday).

Thank you

Saunder
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Cheers Saunder, hope you'll enjoy our plane!
There's btw, this review over at Avsim:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0609/Classics/FW190A.htm