White 10 flown by Hptm Wolfgang Kosse, Staffelkapitän 1./JG5

General discussion about Classics Hangar products
Huub Vink

White 10 flown by Hptm Wolfgang Kosse, Staffelkapitän 1./JG5

Post by Huub Vink »

After having flown the outmoded Bf109E long after other units had converted to more modern versions, JG5 eventually re-equipped with the FW190 in June 1942. The first part of the Geschwader to convert was IV./JG 5, followed by 3./JG 5 with the rest of 1.Gruppe converting about a month later. This particular aircraft, an FW190- A-4 'White 10' was flown by Hptm. Wolfgang Kosse and was photographed at Oslo-Fornebu in Norway in October 1942.
Kosse had previously served with JG 26 and had 10 victories when in May 1942, he was transferred to a gunnery course. On completion he was transferred to 1./JG 5 where he became Staffelkapitän. In June 1943 Kosse became Staffelkapitän of 5./JG 5, but in November he was relieved of his command and demoted for making an unauthorised flight during which he damaged an aircraft. In January 1944 Kosse volunteered to serve with Sturmstaffel 1 and flew Reichsverteidigung duties with this unit and also with JG 3, subsequently becoming Staffelkapitän of 13./JG 3. His final victory tally is not known, sources varying between 20 and 46, but the correct figure is believed to have been around 28. Hptm. Kosse was shot down by a Tempest and killed on 24 December 1944.

Source: Jadwaffe Holding the West by David Wadman and Mertin Pegg.

The screenshot is "Work in progress", but I hope to have this repaint finished somewhere this weekend.

Huub

Huub Vink

Re: White 10 flown by Hptm Wolfgang Kosse, Staffelkapitän 1./JG5

Post by Huub Vink »

And some screenshots taken just before I went to bed..... (2:20 AM).

Cheers,
Huub

alx

Post by alx »

Ahh, GREAT! It was my hope that someone make this plane. Excellent work, Huub!
Classics Hangar Developer
Paintwork
Huub Vink

Post by Huub Vink »

Thanks for the nice words Alessandro. I found the story about the pilot interesting. I guess he was a sort of "enfant terrible". In JG 5 the use of "Gruppe" markings was already unusual, therefore the use of personal markings must have been very rare!

Cheers,
Huub
Huub Vink

Post by Huub Vink »

Finished. I tried to give some extra attention to weathering. As you can see quite some bugs already did hit the spinner and cowling. I will pack the repaint tomorrow and upload it at Avsim.

Regards,
Huub

edit: It is the queue at Avsim and waiting for approval. Enjoy!