Love this plane

Seek support and talk about the Classics Hangar Me 108.
Unterstützung und Forum zur Classics Hangar Me 108.
Agood

Love this plane

Post by Agood »

Hi all, just wanted to say - I got the Taifun on the recent SimMarkt sale, it's been on my wishlist for a long time now, especially since I've last seen three 108s at the Hahnweide Oldtimer fly-in last summer. What an airplane, for the era, and you really managed to give her some character (although I have to admit I'm using the soundmod with it).

One little question though: what's with all the D-I*** repaints? In Germany, a single engine prop below 2 tons carries a D-E*** registration, D-I*** is for multi-engine aircraft (2-5.7 tons MTOW). I have no clue whether that registration scheme was introduced after the era that the depicted Messerschmitts were flying in, but I'm wondering... Also, in many repaints the painted registration does not match the plate on the dashboard.
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Love this plane

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Thanks much, Agood!

The mistery regarding the "E" and "I" is explained in the handbook:
("Start Menu/All Programs/Classics Hangar/Bf 108 Taifun/Bf 108 Manual")
D-EBFW, Werknummer 1561, build in 1937, privately operated and widestly restored to
historical conditions, painted in late 1930s Messerschmitt factory blue. The oldest
airworthy Bf108, infact the oldest airworthy Messerschmitt aircraft in the world. The
official registration code is D-EBFW but it carries the historical registration D-IBFW of the
1930 Messerschmitt showcase aircraft that travelled as far as the USA, with special permit
of the Luftfahrtbundesamt.
D-EBFW, Werknummer 1561, Baujahr 1937, geflogen von einer privaten Haltergemeinschaft
in Deutschland, im Messerschmitt werksblau und weitestgehend im historischen
Zustand. Die weltweit älteste flugfähige Messerschmitt-Maschine überhaupt. Die offizielle
Registrierung lautet D-EBFW, die Maschine trägt aber mit Genehmigung des Bundesluftfahrtamtes
die historische Registrierung D-IBFW einer bekannten Messerschmitt Vorführmaschine.
The code "D-EBFW" in all cockpits that use the historic cockpit is granted to the fact that they all share the same panel textures.
The other two aircraft carrying an "I" registration (D-IOIO, D-IGNY)- are historic pre-war paint schemes.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

Agood

Re: Love this plane

Post by Agood »

Thanks Mathias!