Tailwheel steering late series

Fw 190 A "Anton" Support Forum
pilottj

Tailwheel steering late series

Post by pilottj »

Greetings Mathias,

I got the late series for the World Cup special. Sorry the German team didn't make it. I heard Paul the Octopus picked Spain the winner over the Dutch. We shall see lol. Anyway I am really enjoing the A-9. However I am having some incosistent luck with the steering. I am running windows 7 64bit. I have noticed it starts fine and I think when I switch to the outside view and then back into the cockpit I loose my steering.

Cheers
TJ
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Tailwheel steering late series

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Welcome aboard!

The Fw190 is equipped with an automatic tail wheel lock.
Push the stick forward to unlock it.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

pilottj

Post by pilottj »

lol yeah I am using the stick when it works, and it works fine, and pulling the stick to neutral locks the tailwheel fine for takeoff but I noticed othertimes the stick seems to have no effect.
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Ah ok.
Question:
Are you running the Fw190 in "hard mode" or "just fly"?
Secondly, is that with all models or just one?

pilottj

Post by pilottj »

I am using hard mode, as far as I can tell it seems related to view switching. I just did a circuit around the field without going to the outside views and I had control after landing with the stick foward. I had originally thought it might have somthing to do with retracting the gear and then lowering and it being 'stuck' in tailwheel locked. I have full version of FSUIPC and a handful of other addons. I am not sure if any of them might be conflicting. However when I first noticed this I decided it was time for me to do a fresh install of FSX, so I did a complete wipe and reinstall of FSX just to be sure but the tailwheel bug still remains. Let me research with other models and I will report :)

Cheers
TJ
pilottj

Post by pilottj »

Well I have played around with it a little more, I think it might have to do with switching to the FW from another airplane. I created a 'cold dark' condition and saved it as a flight, now I can 'start' with a FW and it seems to be working fine now :)

Anyway, really fun plane to fly, and looking foward to the Taifun. ;) I hope with it's success that an A-8N becomes possible.

Cheers
TJ
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Ah ok, thanks for further investigation!
Generally it's always a good idea to switch through the views once after loading an airplane so that all gauges and code can get initialized properly.

As for the "N", who knows.
We are currently developing a set of modern gauges for the Taifun so we may well revisit the 190 at one point.
No promises though. :mrgreen:

Glad that you enjoy the plane! As a real pilot you'll probably apprechiate how the craft reacts on controll surface inputs with correct coupled MOI.
Check out for instance how nicely she rolls on rudder input just above stall speed. ;)

pilottj

Post by pilottj »

Yeah the controls in the FW are very well balanced. Very agile yet stable make a fun cross country cruiser. I had some real time in a Piper Comanche which reminded me a little of it. It was also a very well balanced airplane like the SF-260 too. LOL as fun as an 8N would be, if you think about it the FW already has some good 'modern' instruments. The German instruments always seemed a bit more advaced than their US/British/Soviet counterparts of the time. At first the FW instruments seem a little itimidating but are quite intuitive and easy to read after some practice :)

Cheers
TJ
Knallgiraffe

Post by Knallgiraffe »

Hello :)

I got the FW190A Compilation yesterday and I love it :)

Though I must say that I had the same problem. After landing, I taxied to parking position and left the plane for a while. After I came back to do another flight, the tailwheel was locked (and yes I pulled the stick forward, like I said, it was ok before the flight and immediately after landing). I switched through the views but to no avail. Is there any fix insight instead of reloading the airplane? Because for me it is just a workaround, not really a way to solve the problem. Also when I switched on the battery for another run up, the sound of the fuel pump appeared no matter if they were off or on. I think, the plane got messed up just by standing there in the cold of Erfurt airport^^

But I have to say that this is the only problem I do have with it and I can live with it as long as it doesn't happen on every flight. (But a fix would be really appreciated)

And...beside that, I tested the artificial horizon and I had to laugh when I did an aileron roll with unlocked horizon (after I attempted a looping with the horizon locked, which...however ended in a stall and spinning which I could solve after a few seconds) and when I was back in stable condition, it was broken :lol: Did not believe that the damage model is so detailled.

The next...I wouldn't say problem is as following: I punched my engine on 3k RPM and 1.4 ata on ground to see if the damage model works...and when the engine was knocked out, the sound of the spinning - don't know the english word "Welle" you know what I mean - consisted in a never ending loop. So it sounded like a turbine on and on and on and on^^

But, this was before the sound update and I don't plan to overstress the engine another time so I do not count it as problem but as a little bug just for you to know about :)

Last but not least I have to say that the 190 is one of the best addon planes for FSX that I have ever seen. I did not care really much about a neat exterior modell before I am a friend of system depth but your plane (and the Aerosoft PBY Catalina X) showed me that it is possible to combine both. System depth and the beauty in Cockpit and exterior by keeping system requirements as low as possible (it is stable on my 1,8GHz AMD Sempron and 256MB Graka and 2GB RAM under all conditions except 3D clouds and all sliders right).

So you've found a deeply impressed customer in me and I still have one question:

What is the status of the Me 110? Because the Bf108 is not my genre of aircraft though the preview looks great and I saw the 110 in the pipeline I don't want to annoy you with "how long is it still?" but just to have information about when I can count with it, it can take another year, I don't care, I just want the delighting feeling of it not to be forgotten :lol:

And...I know you have certainly got thousands of requests for a Dora or Ta152. Is there a serious consideration (although not a promise) of doing one of these or does the Fw190A9 stand for an end of developing aircraft the "190's style"?

And sorry if I'm annoying with my "what will it be when will it be will it be at all? *jump jump jump big eyes* " :lol: but that's the euphoria of me being FS user since 16 years ago and airplane fanatic since right after crawling out of my mother.

Anyway I love this product keep up the good work ;)
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Welcome Knallgiraffe (what a funny nickname, LOL),

first, thanks for your compliments, much apprechiated!

I can try as I want, I can't duplicate the non-steering tailwheel issue.
It's running fine for me and the beta testers both from interior and exterior view.
It's a fairly simple and straight forward piece of code so I can't think of anything from that end that might cause the issue. Only thing I can think of is that your machine is low on memory and drops some code.
When that happens, what does the Task Manager's performance tab tell?

Engine "spinning" afer damage:
Did you update the sounds from the Flight1/Classics Hangar/Check for updates link?
Secondly, you're sure you feathered the prop after the damage happend (switch prop control from automatic to "Hand", use the "Wippe" on the throttle to feahter the prop) and you're not hearing the prop gear as it keeps spinning in the wind?

Developement of the Bf110 will continue once the Bf108 is out, so yes, it's a positive. :-)
Dora and Ta152, chance is that we'll do those to complete the Fw190 Saga.
Fact is I've tinkered with it every now and then inbetween when I got sick of looking at Taifun files, LOL, and apparently another high end developer who announced one many moons ago isn't going to deliver so yes, maybe, who knows, can happen. ;)