Engine Quits After Hard Knock 20 Mins Into Flight

Fw 190 A "Anton" Support Forum
majorv

Engine Quits After Hard Knock 20 Mins Into Flight

Post by majorv »

Mathias:

Am really enjoying the FW190 Early Variants 2.0! It has quickly become one of my favorites.

However, after flying the A3 for about 20 minutes, I hear a loud knock and the engine quits. This seems to happen no matter where I fly. I reviewed the manual, but do not see that I am doing anything wrong. Temps seem OK (usually 40-60C) and there is still plenty of fuel (>1/3 in rear). Rich lever was pulled and pumps are on. I saw the hotfix for the German version and am wondering if this is some sort of bug. Once, the knock sound just kept repeating, 2-3 times a second, until I ended the flight. Any help or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Major V
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Engine Quits After Hard Knock 20 Mins Into Flight

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Hi Major V,

the early variants are pretty touchy when it comes to overboost damage.
When flying the A-3 you should really avoid going above 1.32ata manifold pressure, better stay below it (the yellow marker on the mp gauge.).
Mind you, the 1.32ata boost with the A-3 is the 30 minutes rating promised by the factory by that time, but it didn't quite meet the expectations.
For cruise keep the mp gauge at the blue marker or better below it.
Engine ratings can be found in the inflight reference for each aircraft.
The most stable of the bunch is the A-4, it should savely meet both the 30 minutes and the three minutes rating plus a bit of headroom.
You can switch off engine damage alltogether with the Just Fly utility.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

majorv

Re: Engine Quits After Hard Knock 20 Mins Into Flight

Post by majorv »

Mathias:

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I just wanted to confirm that this is modeled behavior. I have been trying to stay below the yellow marker during cruise, but will pay closer attention to this from now on.

Thanks for the suggestion:
Mathias Pommerien wrote: You can switch off engine damage alltogether with the Just Fly utility.
However, I wouldn't dream of it! If this is modeled for realism, then it is exactly what I am looking for. I will just have to learn to become a better FW190 A-3 driver. Thanks again for your prompt help.

Regards,

Major V