Can't install FW190 LV to a secondary hard drive

Fw 190 A "Anton" Support Forum
scrubcutter

Can't install FW190 LV to a secondary hard drive

Post by scrubcutter »

Hi, I am having trouble with re-installation of my FW-190 Late Variants since rebuilding my computer. The auto-install program defaults to the 'C' drive and I am unable to activate the browse button to change this. I am currently am using another hard drive for FSX, all my other payware addons (RealAir/Vertigo Studios/A2A etc) were able to be redirected to the new ('B') drive and are running well. I am just not able to re-install my FW-190 into this new drive for some reason. Can you please help me? :?
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Can't install FW190 LV to a secondary hard drive

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

Hi scrubcutter,

what version of the installer are running (exe name) and where did you download it?

EDIT: I just see in your other post that you have the simmarket files.

Ok, the installer searches your registry for your FSX setup path and attempts to install accordingly,
so the registry most likely points to the wrong path.

Run regedit and locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0\Setup Path

Edit the value so that it points to your actual FSX root folder on your new drive.

If that is babbelfish to you head over to the Flight1 page and get the free FSX/FS9 registry repair utility that should do the job for you.
http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

scrubcutter

Post by scrubcutter »

No I understand that Matthias, many thanks for your prompt reply. Might be a good point to add to your FAQ list, as I'm sure others might experience this, and its a relatively easy fix if you know what you're doing. Reason for using seperate hard drive is that I have much better frame rates when FSX can accesss files independent of the prmary drive with the OS. :)
scrubcutter

Post by scrubcutter »

:( Sadly, neither of the fixes offered worked. With regedit I was unable to locate the hotkey path, i.e. I got as far as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\, unfortunately Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0\Setup Path
doesn't exist on my system.
The link to Flight1 seemed to work, however when I went to attempt another re-install, the installer is locked in place at C:\Program Files (x86) My Product, which is a non-existent folder which it creates for itself on install, with no provision to re-direct it to the secondary drive where FSX is located.

I have not had this problem with any other payware or freeware aircraft ( I have more than 30 loaded, including upgrades), this is the only one which does not let me manually relocate the destination directory. Is there a patch or a fix I can use to unlock this annoying installer so I can do it manually by file if necessary? It is very frustrating as I am wasting a lot of time with this, and the FW-190 is one of the best designed (other than the installer!) payware add-ons I have in my virtual hangar!!!!! :shock:
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Wot? No M$ in the registry? Surprising that your PC is running at all. :lol:
What operating system are you running, by the way?
Well, the best option is to repair the registry as it's definitely the root of the problem.
There is no user option to manually change the install path.

As a workaround you can install into this "my product" root and move the content manually into the FSX main folder, keeping the subfolder structure as is.
You will loose the shortcuts from the startmenu classics hangar folder but you can access those directly from the FSX\Classics Hangar folder (handbook, check-for-updates link and so forth).
The interior texture manager (resol.exe) can be run from the SimObjects\Airplanes\Classics-Hangar_Fw190A-5 folder.

scrubcutter

Post by scrubcutter »

No, my last post wasn't very clear. I have no MS Games in the registry, at least not showing up in the normal manner. I found them by opening a bunch of files and stumbling over them in the end. I am running Windows 7 Home Edition, so still getting to terms with the GUI having converted directly from XP. Theres some funny stuff going on with my registry since formatting my second HDD for use, that could be part of the problem. I did alter the FSX root file registry key to point to the new drive, but the FW-190 auto installer is still adamant it has to go to my 'C' drive! Hopefully I haven't damaged my entire FSX install, but it has proved to be an interesting exercise so far. I will have a go at manually copying the files over from the 'my product' directory as it will still be faster than conducting a full re-install back in my 'c' drive just to get one add-on out of many to work.

Might be something to look at for future Classics Hangar install programs however... :idea:
scrubcutter

Post by scrubcutter »

Further to my last, the manual install worked fine, short cuts not a problem, as I know where to access what I need easily, so thanks once again for your prompt and useful information Matthias. I rate this product with Aerosofts F-16/Catalina, and the A2A Accusim range, so it is great that you guys belong to a select group of software developers dedicated to accuracy and cutting edge graphics.
I've got my beloved FW-190 back, YAY! :D
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Glad that it's sorted, scrubcutter!

As for reworking the installer:
Won't happen!
That's the only little bit of security measurement we bother to offend our customers with.
Your's is the very first report about a non-functioning installer ever, and you will probably agree that you can't blame the installer for it. :P