Prop pitch question

Fw 190 A "Anton" Support Forum
RudiJG1

Prop pitch question

Post by RudiJG1 »

Apologies for the cross-posting of this over at the Sim Outhouse, but:

I have noticed a oddity related to prop pitch.

When I attempted my first take off in an A4, I was stuck by how anemic and low powered the aircraft was...I barely cleared the trees at the end of the runway. After several flights in this plane, I've now discovered the reason: the prop was essentially feathered, and to address this, I had to manually advance prop pitch in order to get the thrust needed for a clean take-off. Once that's done, take-offs are a breeze, and the plane is very responsive.

I thought these Antons were all equipped with the Kommandogerät, which among other things, controls prop pitch. I should mention that after manually setting prop pitch for take-off, it appears to be automated by the Kommandogerät once airborne.

Is this accurate? I'm wondering if some of the plane's systems aren't being set properly by FSX when initially loaded.
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Re: Prop pitch question

Post by Mathias Pommerien »

RudiJG1 wrote:Apologies for the cross-posting of this over at the Sim Outhouse, but:

I have noticed a oddity related to prop pitch.

When I attempted my first take off in an A4, I was stuck by how anemic and low powered the aircraft was...I barely cleared the trees at the end of the runway. After several flights in this plane, I've now discovered the reason: the prop was essentially feathered, and to address this, I had to manually advance prop pitch in order to get the thrust needed for a clean take-off. Once that's done, take-offs are a breeze, and the plane is very responsive.

I thought these Antons were all equipped with the Kommandogerät, which among other things, controls prop pitch. I should mention that after manually setting prop pitch for take-off, it appears to be automated by the Kommandogerät once airborne.

Is this accurate? I'm wondering if some of the plane's systems aren't being set properly by FSX when initially loaded.
Welcome Rudi,
I would suppose you boot off a user-saved flight in a cold and dark cockpit with the rpm set to low?
Best way to save a flight in a cold and dark cockpit is to start the engine with CTRL+E, shut it down by closing the fuel cock and next shut down the electrical systems before saving the flight. Most importantly, leave the CTRL+F4 keys alone when preparing for cold and dark.
Mathias Pommerien (Classics Hangar)

RudiJG1

Post by RudiJG1 »

Thanks for the suggestion and for a terrific aircraft!
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

Sorry Rudi, have to correct myself:
Ment to say "leave the CTRL+F1 and CTRL+F2 keys alone"

CTRL+F4 would actually be a good option to prepare for correct workings.

RudiJG1

Post by RudiJG1 »

Understood, thanks.
RudiJG1

Post by RudiJG1 »

One more question please, Mathias? Once I've prepared for take off by adjusting the prop pitch via the key combination CTRL+F4, do I need to manually adjust prop pitch again at all during the flight, or will the Kommandogerät take care of that?

Thanks!
Mathias Pommerien
Site Admin

No need for further action.
Watch the gauge in the lower panel to see the variable pitch in action. :mrgreen:

deimos256

Post by deimos256 »

Sorry to piggyback off of this but I am having a related issue. All the A models I have the automatic prop works great but the issue described above happens to me with the D and TA models. On cold and dark start the prop pitch is all the way back, so I advance it and take off, but the automatic prop system never kicks in. The prop just continues to be manual operation. Surely if the A models and and the Ds don’t, then it couldn’t be an issue with my default flight.